Cajun Pasta Cravings
Since going plant based one of the dishes I missed eating the most was creamy, cajun pasta. When ordering at restaurants the dishes always came with meat and or cheese. When I was transitioning from meats to vegetarian TGIF's cajun pasta did the trick. I just asked the waiter to sub out the chicken for veggies instead.
It wasn't until I decided to go dairy free did I hit a stumbling block with TGIF's pasta dish...so I had to get creative.
In order to satisfy my insatiable craving for creamy, spicy pasta I developed this easy vegan cajun pasta recipe. It's been a staple dish for the last two or so years. I find it so tasty I wanted to share it with you.
Prep Time: 10-12 mins
Cook Time: 15-20 mins
Skill Level: Easy
Serving Size: 2-3
- 3 cups Uncooked Pasta (I like to use brown rice spiral pasta)
- 1/2 cup Vegan Milk (I like to use unsweetened original almond milk)
- 1 Tbsp. Vegan Butter (See link to where I got my homemade vegan butter recipe: http://avirtualvegan.com/easy-vegan-butter/)
- 2 tsp. - 1 Tbsp *Cajun Seasoning (See below for recipe on how to make it or use your own)
- 2 1/2 cups Freshly Chopped Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 1/3 cup Freshly Diced Bell Peppers (I used both red and yellow)
- 1 tsp. Capers (optional)
- 1/3 cup Freshly Diced Onions
- 1/3-1/2 cup Freshly Diced Tomatoes
- Salt (Enough to salt your pasta water if you choose to)
- 4 tsp. Avocado Oil (Use any oil you like or water, but it won’t be as flavorful)
- 1 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp. Dry Parsley for garnish
CAJUN SEASONING RECIPE
- 1 tsp. Cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. Garlic Salt
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Dry Thyme
- 1 tsp. Brown Sugar or Coconut Sugar
* Mix all the spices together in a separate small bowl before adding to sautéed veggies. I like to double this recipe and store it in a container to have some on hand for future recipes.
Watch My Recipe Video:
- Begin boiling salted water on high for your pasta.
- In a medium skillet sauté chopped veggies in preferred oil or water on medium heat.
- Once veggies are softened add your cajun seasoning per desired amount. Mix veggies and cajun seasoning together well.
- Add pasta to your boiling water and let cook while you finish preparing your cajun veggie sauté. Make sure not to overcook your pasta.
- Next, pour in unsweetened vegan milk into your veggie sauté, add capers (optional), and nutritional yeast. Stir well, cover with lid and let veggie sauté simmer on medium low heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in your vegan butter and incorporate into your veggie sauté. Reduce heat to low while pasta finishes cooking.
- Lastly, toss in your drained, cooked pasta with your cajun veggie sauté and make sure to mix well to ensure your pasta is nicely coated with the cajun sauce. Garnish with parsley.
- Enjoy while hot!
You can make this dish non-vegan by incorporating sautéed sausage, chicken, and or shrimp in addition to or in place of the veggies. You can also use dairy milk, cheese, and or butter. Or if you are plant based toss in some mock sausage or chicken.
Printables by Nic Shop